Wednesday, September 9, 2009

summertime CHAOS

This week was the last week for Dixie Pieces summer contest. I'm going to miss the challenges. I loved learning to stretch my creativity and work outside my comfort zone. This weeks challenge was a combination of the past weeks: paint, sewing, doodling and fancy cutting. The theme was the sounds of summer. I wanted to create a layout about all the constant noise or chaos in my house. Lots of those saying I hear alot during the summer from the boys fighting about legos to my DH miserably asking me how many more photos I plan to take. We had to use the colors teal, dk blue and yellow and could add in a neutral. I used white to portray the soft calm I was seeking and the clusters of embellishments to portray the chaos.

For doodling I drew a bird on a piece of shrink plastic, colored it in with pencils and shrunk it down. I adhered it to the layout with jump rings and a bit of embroidery floss.

For painting I painted on Glimmer Mist over a dotted embossed area. That embossed area was fun to make. I used a piece of waste packaging from a travel bingo set as a mask and inked it up with Versamark. After removing the mask I embossed the dots with white embossing powder.


For my fancy cutting I used the stamped butterfly technique that I've done before on my blog. I stamped a butterfly on teal and white cardstock. I cut out the butterfly images and cut the inner details on the teal butterfly. Emboss the white, flip them over the stamped image is on the back and layer the butterflies.


For my sewing technique, I painted a piece of fabric with white paint. This was to give it some stability when I sewed it. Using a free hand stitch, I machine stitched leaf outlines. I cut them out and ran a knife around the edges to fray them a bit. I laid them down on the cardstock and stitched the centers and vines of the plants.

supplies used:
mask (waste material I was about to throw away from a travel bingo set), Versamark, White Embossing Powder, glimmer Mist, chalk, Dymo tape, Junkitz yellow pp, corner rounder (to create scallop edge), Inkadinkado butterfly stamp, Cuttlebug Swiss dots, fabric (painted with white acrylic paints), MM alpha stickers, Doodlebug flowers, Kaiser bling, MM pins, Heidi Swapp clear letters, Lil Davis bottlecap, rikrak (on tag-upper left), tag- Making Memories, star rubon- Basic Grey (on tag), white wire (for flower stems), white eyelet (on tag), beads (scattered around butterflies), "Shhhhh" -cricut diecut, metal word "family"- Making Memories, transparency heart w/Stickles painted on (on metal word tag), Junkitz ring, embroidery floss, shrink plastic (doodled bird- can't remember where I originally saw this bird, but I took it from a sketch in my old sketchbook), colored pencils, altered photos and staples

2 comments:

Karen said...

Wendy, this is a huge, big WOW of a layout!!! My jaw is on the floor and as I always am, I'm amazed by your talent. And you DREW that bird??!! Love it! :>

Jen Tapler said...

ummmm...WHAT!?!?!? Are you kidding me? unbelievable girl!! Seriously one of the most awesomest (yeah, I know it's not a word) layouts I've EVER seen!!!