Thursday, November 29, 2012

Stampendous and DIY Bangles (cont)...

Aren't you loving Stampendous and DIY Bangles together? Today I'm back to share a Steampunk Pendant that I created. 


You will need: 
•Stampendous Aged Silver and Aged Copper Embossing Enamels, Steampunk Gears Perfectly Clear Stamps
•DIY Bangles (2 inch Pendants)
•Metal Tape (found at home improvement stores)
•Drywall mesh
•Black acrylic paint
•gears, decorative brad and clock hands


Trim a variety of sizes of metal tape. Adhere to wood pendant. For some I adhered them over a small piece of drywall mesh. 

When you've covered the entire piece, its time to add the detailing. This will really make it look like a metal pendant. Look around your office for stuff that you can use to imprint designs into the metal. The tiny "rivets" were made with an empty mechanical pencil. The larger rivets were from a pen. The tiny screw marks to the right were made with a Cuttlebug quilling tool. 


When I was happy with the design, I painted black paint over the entire piece. When it was dry, I wiped it off being careful to leave some paint in the grooves and rivets. I added a coating of Beacons Fast Finish to seal in the color. 

Next I punched a circle from cardstock and embossed with with 2 layers of Aged Copper EP. While the EP was still molten hot, press a clock face stamp into the EP. Pull it off and you have a clock impression. I added a layer of Glossy Accents. 

The chipboard gears were coated in Aged Silver Embossing Powder. 

My youngest didn't mind modeling it for a bit to give you an idea of the size. I'm thinking this technique would be awesome for a Steampunk costume. 


* shhhh...don't tell... but this pendant was actually a coverup design. ;) I had started to wood burn a butterfly on the front and didn't like the way it was turning out. The problem with wood burning is, if you goof there's no going back. I added a circle of dry wall mesh over the wood burned design on the front and once I added my metal tape, you couldn't even tell it was a coverup. 

13 comments:

Lillian Child said...

Really fabulous job on creating such a unique piece of jewelry! I've been wanting to try my hand at making jewelry (especially for the holidays ahead), and you gals have made it look so easy this week, and these pieces are so amazing looking! Thanks so much for sharing with us!

kathi17 said...

I love this pendant. It looks really fun to make, and people will think you paid a fortune for it!

Jingle said...

LOVE IT! Awesome job, Wendy!

Lea said...

This is so freaking cool! I LOVE it! Yeah, I'll be making a trip to Home Depot for some metal tape, I already have the drywall tape! Geesh, you're such an enabler! LOL! Love it!

Kailash said...

Gorgeous pendant, it looks so expensive, love the design!!! BTW....Your son is sooo cute!!!

Sue D said...

This turned out awesome!

Barb Turpin said...

Wendy, your designs never cease to amaze me...FABULOUS!!!

joy said...

WOW! You make that metal background look so easy, Wendy! I love the added dimension that you get by using the drywall tape under the metal tape. Fantastic job!

Scrappychick said...

This is so cool! Fabulous techniques!

Unknown said...

I love the steampunk look, and this pendant absolutely nails it! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Kim H said...

I love the look you achieved with the techniques you used, love the dimension and textures. love it, thanks for sharing.

Melinda Gleissner said...

This is soooooo cool! Have to try this!

Carol said...

Love this Steam punk Pendant, so cool and trendy!

Carol B
ciaoitalia2007(at)gmail(dot)com