Thursday, September 8, 2011

Tips and Tricks with SSD- Wood Burning

Hi everyone! Today I'm sharing a tutorial that I created for this weeks Skipping Stones Design Tips and Tricks.  First you’ll need to gather your supplies: favorite stamps, light brown ink, unfinished wood, wood burning tool, paints/watercolor pencils, and varnish.


Supplies Needed


Next you'll need to plan out your design. I usually cut a scrap of paper the width of the bangle and stamp out a design on it. Some designs are easier to wood burn than others so chose your design carefully. 


Next you'll stamp your image on the wood bangle in a light brown ink. When you're burning in the design you'll use these stamped images as a guide for burning. Depending on the design, you may wish to change it a bit when burning to make it easier. The light brown ink will make it less noticeable if you stray from the design. 

For a curved bangle like this one, I find its easier hold the stamp in my hand and press it on with my fingers around the curve surface. 


I’m using a bangle from DIY Bangles made of milkwood. Not all types of wood will burn the same, but the milkwood is perfect for wood burning on. Pine because it is softer and has knots will skip as burning. I’ve found the inexpensive wood plaques at craft stores, although inexpensive to practice on are difficult to burn on. When burning, go slowly with minimal pressure. Let the tool do the work for you. If you are having difficulties with your wood burning, try a different type of wood before giving it up. And practice, practice, practice. 


Now that you have your design burned in, its time to color the image. You could use watercolor pencils, acrylic ink. I haven’t tried Copics yet, but they might work too. For the background, I like to paint on acrylics and wipe them off leaving a stain effect. I went ahead and added highlights with a white Sharpie.

For the inside of the bangle, I used an antiquing stain to highlight the woodgrain. You could use brown paint if you didn’t have the antiquing stain. Simply allow it to sit for a few seconds and wipe off the extra. The final step is to give it a coat or two of varnish for protection.

13 comments:

Wendy said...

I am so enamored with this tutorial. I am burning a wood burning tool today! I will let you know what I come up with! Thanks for the inspiration Wendy!

Wendy said...

I meant to say "buying"

Scrappychick said...

absolutely beautiful!! gotta try it with the bangle in my box!!

Jingle said...

And it is absolutely amazing! You make it look so easy!

Barb Turpin said...

And your coloring is just gorgeous too! Beautiful project!

Taylor said...

You know you rock, right??

Karen B. said...

This is just amazing. Simple as that. Amazing.

Stephanie said...

Wendy.........You are so darned creative that you blow my mind! I've loved this bracelet ever since I saw it for the auction! Just beautiful and what a great tutorial!

JoAnn V. (http://joboogie.typepad.com) said...

Love this! What a fabulous technique! I'm going to have to try it out! :)

~amy~ said...

::gasp:: lovely!!!!!!

Tanya said...

Oh wow, this is so awesome!

Melinda said...

You are absolutely amazing! I've said it before and I'll say it again, this bangle is stunning and your tutorial is great. I know I was one of the many who asked for it but seeing how this week I scratched an itch on my face with the tip of my glue gun (yes, it was on) and last night while cutting the prongs off a brad cut through my finger tip (it still hasn't stopped bleeding), I think I should leave wood burning to you:-) Have you thought about selling these? Have a great weekend!

Pam Hornschu said...

I am so in awe of these woodburning projects that you do! Gorgeous as usual!