Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Paper Craft Planet and i{heart}paper CHA hop...

As new products are quickly starting to hit the shelves, Paper Craft Planet and i{heart}paper are teaming up to bring you a peek at the trends and themes that Winter CHA 2012 brought. Here are some of the most prominent trends at this CHA show...
  • Chevrons
  • Paris
  • Travel themed products
  • Sewing is still very hot
  • Quilt patterns as paper backgrounds
  • City skyline
  • Pinwheels and Flowers and Butterflies (oh my… typical Spring)
  • Pennents
  • Twine
  • Small sticker letters
  • 3d embellishments — lots of small wooden shapes, and cut & fanned paper


I had the opportunity to play along with My Cute Stamps Paris stamp set! This set is absolutely adorable from the Eiffel Tower to the cute little poodle. Since Travel and Paris was a popular theme at CHA I decided to use that for my inspiration. 

Clouds were another popular trend at CHA. To create the clouds, I freehand cut a cloud shape out of scrap paper and used it as a stencil when inking Broken China on the one side of the card.

I did something a bit out of my comfort level with this card...its ONE layer! I masked off left side, and stamped out the word Paris repeatedly in Memento ink. I outlined each word in a light grey Copic and then inked the entire section with Black Soot Distress Ink. When I was done with the right side, I masked off the right side and stamped the Eiffel tower. After coloring it with Copics I inked the clouds with Distress Inks. All that was left to do was add a bit of tulle.


Ready for some more inspiration? Check out the rest of the Planet Super Novas and our friends at i{heart}papers for some other great paper crafting trend ideas:
i{heart}paper DT members:
and the supernovas at Paper Craft Planet:

I am entering this in the following challenges:

Simon Says Stamps- Paris

21 comments:

Deb said...

So DARLING, Wendy! It has a modern, yet old-world feel to it...and I love the tulle! LOVE it!

Lynn Mercurio said...

Such a great project, Wendy. Love how you stamped "paris" multiple times to create the pattern on the right and the tulle is a perfect touch. Awesome job.

Taylor said...

What a FUN card! I love this set...so darling! I love the repeating pattern on the right side of the card - genius!

Unknown said...

Love this set and you made a fabulous card with it!

Pam said...

This is a great card! I love the repeated stamping pattern and the tulle adds just the right touch.

i {heart} papers said...

This is lovely! The tulle is a great touch. It reminds of the Paris fashion scene. :) Thank you so much for helping us this month and hopping along.

Lisa Somerville said...

Fab card! The masking turned out wonderfully! Love the added tulle!

Annette Allen said...

what a beautiful card...love it

Gretchen said...

Oh this is gorgeous! I love the single layer :)

whoistracy said...

How cute! I love that we both used the same stamp sets but got completely different projects out of it.

LorettaL said...

Clouds! I forgot all about clouds! Yours are wonderful and I do love that text as graphic background you created!

sharon g said...

How funny that it's out of your comfort level to do one D. I'm the same way. I like your card. So many trends to choose from. I like the look of your card. Thanks.

Unknown said...

I love the one layer and two tone look! I'm going to have to try this! You're brilliant!!!!

Natasha G.P. said...

Paris, sewing product and stick out embellishments. Nice job.

Micah G. said...

I love how seemingly simple this card is. It's deceptive.

B. Poteraj said...

The greyish hue of the ribbon looks great with the rest of the card. It looks like a vintage find.

Carolyn Mustopa said...

I love this! That mesh ribbon just makes it! Lovely.

Emily Keaton said...

LOVE that cool Eiffel Tower!! And those clouds you created? Stunning. Great card--so very fun. :)

FrancineB said...

awesome card. Love the two-tones, one layered look.

Carol said...

Ooh la la! Love the addition of the tulle, nice touch!

Carol B
ciaoitalia2007(at)gmail(dot)com

Lori said...

Love this, Wendy! The tulle ribbon is perfect with the theme and colors.